Thursday, November 3, 2011

Manila Bay



I spent quite some time sketching in Manila Bay a couple of weeks ago while my was taking care of a work event. The sketch above is probably one of the most polished I've ever done, which makes sense since it took me about an hour to finish it.  I was actually sketching it outside in the wind and rain until some employees of Yellow Cab Pizza took pity on me and invited me to stay inside since there weren't a lot of customers that day. I wanted to order something in thanks but I was really full after one and a half sandwiches at Starbucks, so I sheepishly sneaked away after I was done with my sketch.  This one was done with a pencil outline, then brush pen and gray marker brush for shading.  The little squiggles on the upper right were supposed to be birds flapping in the wind, which I wasn't quite successful with.




This sketch was done in the aforementioned Starbucks.  I must have looked suspicious to the Starbucks crew and customers because I spent maybe 10 minutes just walking around Starbucks trying to find the best view.  These were all sketched in Harbor Square opposite the CCP complex.  I'd actually had no idea that this structure existed before that Saturday, but it's a pretty nice place to go and view the sunset or the boats and yachts moored in Manila Bay with skyscrapers and the piers in the background.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful first, and delightful second sketch. Glad I stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice sketches, Ryan. About the time of our talk at Metro Museum in July, I noticed the area by the Yacht Club, and a few boats sitting along the shoreline, apparently being worked on. I thought then that it would be a good area to sketch at - a different Manila venue, and also it also wasn't crowded. Good idea to sketch there, Ryan.

    ReplyDelete