Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Return to Navotas Port Fish Port

Our last sketchwalk at Navotas Fish Port was a blast. I guess it got a lot of people to become interested in sketching there. So Amado Chua, a fellow sketcher, asked me if I could invite anyone from  the USk PH Facebook page who wanted to tag along since he will be doing a photoshoot with friends. I had invited Nice Rodriguez beforehand but was unable to post an invite on the USk group since I still wasn't sure if I'm able to go.

With the exception of the previous Saturday's sketchwalk, I had never sketched anything for more than two weeks so I was really excited to be sketching again. I got so excited that when we arrived, Nice and I didn't bother to look for a more comfortable sketching spot. It was a big mistake. There was no shade and we were practically situated in the middle of the street that when curious onlookers arrived, there was no wall behind to flank us, making it a bit uncomfortable and distracting at the same time. Before I knew it, two hours had passed and I was still nowhere near completion.


One of the challenges in this picture is including a lot of elements that I thought would be there for a while. The pedicab left sooner than expected, as did the group that was gambling behind it. When the lady in front of the boat learned that I was sketching her, she voluntarily returned to her spot and resumed her original pose. Two reasons why it took some time to finish the piece was trying to remember the elements that were no longer there, and the rapidly changing light that made me keep on adjusting. I hope to have a better plan next time this happens. :)
02.25.15 - 11"x15" watercolor on paper
Just the same, the experience was no less fun than before and thanks to Amado for introducing us to this place. It was also a pleasure to meet Billie and Rica. Hope you could join us on the next sketchwalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment