Friday, May 1, 2015

Sketching at the Zoo

For our April sketchwalk, we went to the Manila Zoological and Botanical Garden. Manila Zoo is a place that many of us remembered visiting on field trips in grade school.

April 18 was a hot summer day--we found out later that the temperature in Manila soared to 36.2 degrees Celsius, the hottest day of the year in the metro (so far!)--good thing there were trees around for shade. As the day went on, visitors of all ages poured in, with not a few looking over the shoulders of the sketchers scattered around the zoo. The sketchers were easy to pick out: sitting, crouching, or standing still, they have sketchbooks and pads on their laps and drawing and coloring materials in their hands. They look up to see their subject and look down to create marks, and look up again. It seemed like the sketchers were being observed as well.

Photo: Ian Ulpindo
  
Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian UlpindoPhoto: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo

Photo: Ian Ulpindo




I asked the sketchers what they enjoyed drawing the most. Here's what they shared!


sketch by Aurelio Castro III

Aurelio Castro, photo by Ian Ulpindo
Aurelio Castro III: "I was attracted to this view due to its complexity in light and shadow and overlapping shapes and objects. Getting it on pen got a little complicated during the the first few minutes. I decided to just simplify the drawing as much as I could and let let the watercolor connect and complete the whole picture."
"I’m satisfied with how it turned out, I’m still in awe of how green the lagoon is. And I’m glad I did this sketch even though it was daunting at first. Of all the sketches I did during our Sketchwalk in Manila Zoo this is my favorite because I learned the most from it."

sketch by Camille Chua
Camille Chua, photo by Ian Ulpindo
Camille Chua loved the apes "because they were such characters and that trying to capture their movements was fun, and the lion was a lot of fun to draw in terms of form practice."

Carlo's sketch
Carlo in action, photo by Ige Ochoa Trinidad
Carlo Martinez: "My personal fave among my sketches! I have waited so long to see Maali again, and there - my humble sketch! Can't recall when was the last time I visited this oldest zoo in Asia (of course prior to this recent sketchwalk). I just wish that the other animals in the zoo have a larger habitat area as this elephant does!"





Cynthia Feliciano: "This stork reminded me of the large birds found within the city of Nairobi in Kenya."



Eileen Bondoc Escueta: "This peacock actually posed in front of me, without moving, for a few minutes, JUST long enough for a quick pen-and-ink sketch. Then he turned around and strutted away. So I just made a written note of his colors and colored him at home."


Ige Ochoa Trinidad: "This might be my favorite sketch last Saturday. I really like how the lines interacted with the sketch and became the ostrich's cage. My sweat also played a part and gave the bottom part of the graph a faded effect which will always remind me how hot (but fun) that day was."


Irma Lara: "I have always loved drawing birds. Going to the sketchwalk of USK-Ph gave me the opportunity to sketch them up close. I stayed longer in front of the aviary and sketched the continuously moving stork, night heron & peacock. The double-wattled cassowary also caught my eye because of the nice coloring on its neck against bluish-black feathers on its body."



Manuel Jiongco: "This sketch was done around 4 pm. I love how the sunlight falls on its back as it poses with its wings spread."


 

 

 Marcela Suller was shy at first because there were many people around. Eventually she became more comfortable. "I quickly sketched the birds that I saw using my pastels". 




Patts Cadayona: "I enjoyed sketching the Palawan Bearcat, which exhibited only the lazy pose despite changing spots."



Randy Valiente: I decided not to paint or draw in details and just observe the animal's behavior and bone structures while doing rough and fast sketches.



















Tissa's sketch
Tad's sketch
Siblings Tad and Tissa Pagaduan joined the sketchwalk for the first time. Tissa says, "We really enjoyed the experience. We liked the experience of seeing people around the area, sketching and really admiring the beauty of the place."

 
Amado Chua: "I love drawing the tigers." 

 
Eileen and Irma (Photos by Ige Ochoa Trinidad)

 
Lennon and Chris; Nigel and Cynthia (Photos by Ige Ochoa Trinidad)

Tad and Tissa (Photos by Ige Ochoa Trinidad)

Awesome zoo sketches!


  

  


(Photos by Ige Ochoa Trinidad)


Happy sketchers!

No comments:

Post a Comment