Friday, November 11, 2016

MEET THE CORRESPONDENT: Jonathan Price

I have been drawing and sketching from an early age, beginning with life drawing classes at school. I switched to carrying a sketch book with me everywhere I went and sketching even in the briefest of free moments, when I ventured out to work overseas, firstly in Cambodia, then Bhutan, Jordan, Syria and now I am based in the Philippines (though I still travel around for work).

I only discovered Urban Sketchers this year, but have been following a similar artistic approach for a long, long time. I like to draw to capture a moment, a memory and the atmosphere, that a quick snap with a camera cannot. I believe that by drawing on the spot you drink in a place and see and understand so much more.

Sketching ‘En Plein Air’ has always been a positive experience for me - I’ll never forget being surrounded by a huge group of children in Phnom Penh, who were fascinated to see a scene come to life on the paper. I like to use water-soluble ink and watercolour, but sometimes mix it up a bit with pencils, chalk and oil pastels and charcoal.

Workers accommodation near my apartment in the Philippines
.






Angkor Wat in Cambodia

































The frequency of my drawing and painting has declined over the years, but linking up with Urban Sketchers Manila and other sketching communities on-line has been a great source of inspiration and has encouraged me to keep drawing at least once every day.



SaveSave
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment